Virtual & In-Person Therapy in Burlington, Ontario
What is Couples Therapy?
Couples therapy is often referred to as marriage or relationship counselling. It’s a specialized form of psychotherapy designed to help couples navigate and improve their relationships. It’s based on the understanding that conflicts and challenges are common in any partnership and therapy provides a structured and supportive environment to address any issues or struggles a couple may have.
What Does Couples Therapy & Counselling Help With?
Conflict Resolution: One of the primary goals is to assist partners in addressing and resolving conflicts. Therapists help couples identify root causes of their disagreements and teach them effective ways to communicate, negotiate and find compromises.
Improved Communication: Effective communication is a cornerstone of any healthy relationship. Couples therapy places a strong emphasis on enhancing communication skills. This includes active listening, expressing feelings and needs, and learning to understand and empathize with a partner’s perspective.
Reconnection and Intimacy: Over time, relationships can lose their spark. Couples counselling helps partners reconnect emotionally and rekindle the intimacy that brought them together. This often involves rediscovering shared interests, reigniting physical affection, and building a deeper emotional bond.
Skill-Building: Couples therapy equips couples with valuable tools and techniques to manage future challenges. Therapists may assign homework assignments and provide strategies that couples can practice outside of sessions to reinforce the skills they’ve learned.
What to Expect in Couples Therapy
A trained and licensed psychotherapist will follow the following process with the couple:
- Assessment: The therapist will assess the relationship’s strengths and weaknesses, understand each individuals’ perspective, and identify the primary issues causing conflict.
- Communication: Effective communication is a fundamental focus. The therapist will help the couple improve their communication skills and teach them how to express themselves and listen to their partner more effectively.
- Conflict Resolution: Couples work on resolving conflicts and disagreements in healthier ways. The therapist may teach techniques for compromising and problem solving.
- Relationship building: Therapy sessions can put importance on rebuilding and strengthening the emotional connection between partners. This often involves rediscovering shared interests and intimacy.
- Homework and follow-up: The therapist may assign homework and exercises for the couples to practice between sessions. Follow up appointments track progress and adapt to counselling changes to address any ongoing issues.
Couples therapy is a resource for couples seeking to strengthen their bonds, resolve conflicts and achieve greater satisfaction in their relationship. By fostering healthier communication and problem solving, it can lead to more harmonious and fulfilling partnerships.
Finding the right psychotherapist can be an overwhelming process. Book a free 15 minute consultation call to discuss your therapy needs and get the answers to any questions you may have. Psychotherapy and counselling services are offered in Burlington and virtually for residents of Ontario.